Job Vacancy: Khmer Language Instructors
In Phnom Penh and Siem Reap in Cambodia
Deadline of application: February 28th, 2019
The Khmer Language and Culture Study Program (KLCP) provides an opportunity for faculty, post-graduate researchers and undergraduates from U.S. universities to participate in an intensive eight-week study abroad program, from June 10th – August 2nd, 2019 in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, Cambodia. This ongoing program is administered in collaboration with the University of Hawai’i, Mānoa’s (UHM) Khmer Language Program. This CKS program is designed for those who wish to develop Khmer language skills and understanding of contemporary Cambodian society for academic and professional purposes, but who have not completed two years of formal language training. Beginners are welcome to apply. The program is intended to complement the Advanced Study in Khmer (ASK) program and is structured along similar lines.
For more details about the program click here: https://www.khmerstudies.org/research-training/opportunity-khmer-language-and-culture-study
CKS is looking for:
- One Khmer Language Instructor to teach the Khmer beginner level in Siem Reap (First 4 weeks)
- One Khmer Language Instructor to teach the Khmer beginner level in Phnom Penh (another 4 weeks)
- OR ONE Khmer Language Instructor who is able to teach in both Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, preferably.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Teach beginner level of Khmer language/culture to students from the USA by using the CKS textbook for Writing and Reading (instructor can also include more materials for teaching).
Morning schedule is fixed: Monday to Friday, from 8:00 AM to 12 noon. Afternoon schedule is flexible depend upon program activities and shared duties with the Field Coordinator and teaching assistants (TAs). Generally, from 2:00-5:00 PM. Monday and Thursday: work with NGOs/speakers, and Tuesday and Friday: work on projects with students.
- Related activities include, but are not limited to, maintaining at least 3 hours of office work per week and continuing work on updating/refining the curriculum, activities and teaching with the Coordinator and Project Director.
- Pre-Departure Phase: working about 5-10 hours on refining and preparing curriculum and syllabus with local Field Coordinator and Project Director (one month prior to the start of the program).
- Work full-time: from June 10th to August 2nd, 2019. The job can be divided into 2 increments (just first 4 weeks in Siem Reap and another 4 weeks in Phnom Penh).
- Khmer nationality
- Having significant knowledge of Khmer language, culture, history and current issues.
- Holding MA degree in linguistics, literatures or equivalent
- Having experiences in teaching Khmer language to foreigners
- Having experiences in teaching Khmer language at University level
- Having very good English level
- Having knowledge of integrating technology in language/culture teaching; energetic and innovative.
Interested Candidates should send a CV (2 pages max) and one-page cover letter outlining their related qualifications for the job by e-mail to Ms. Samedy Suong via firstname.lastname@example.org with the email title: Application for Khmer Language Instructor in PNP or SRP or both.