Job Announcement: Communication and Outreach Officer
Cambodian national only
Duty station: CKS in Siem Reap
Application Deadline: January 10th, 2018
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email (mentioning the position name in the email subject) a detailed CV and a very short cover letter describing how their qualifications and experience match the position requirements, no later than January 10th 2018 (COB), to BOTH following email addresses:
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
*Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The Center for Khmer Studies (CKS) mission is to support research and teaching in the social sciences, arts and humanities as they relate to Cambodia. Since our founding in 1998, CKS has aimed to foster understanding of Cambodia and the Mekong region.
CKS brings the experience and strength of more than 15 years’ operating in Cambodia, and solid established partnerships with local and international organizations. Operating from both Siem Reap (headquarters) and Phnom Penh, CKS offers a dynamic working environment with lots of room for initiative, innovative thinking, professional empowerment, and rapid decision making.
CKS is seeking a communication and outreach officer who will be the primary individual supporting day-to-day communications and outreach activities. Besides ensuring quality of key communication tools and materials, key responsibilities will be focusing on supporting 3 main areas: ensuring CKS (1) strong presence in Multimedia, (2) quality publications, and (3) public events visibility and outreach.
Therefore, the position requires an individual who is at ease with newest multimedia tools like Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube. S/he will also support longer-term communication and outreach initiatives (internal and external) and ways to develop and position CKS among its local partners, online, and within the international development community.
Under the direct management of the CKS head of programs, and overall guidance of the Director, the outreach and communication officer will play a key role in development and implementation of CKS major communication projects and publications.
Key responsibilities of the Communications and Outreach officer are given below:
1/ Overall responsibilities:
- Update and revise the website, both content and structure wise.
- Develop and implement CKS social media strategy, including regularly updating CKS Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and other accounts, as needed, with up to date and relevant content.
- Analyze need and relevance of a blog of CKS-produced content from CKS partners and beneficiaries that showcases CKS work and expertise.
- Develop timely material to promote CKS activities for distribution on social media, website, newsletters, and other external modes of communication.
- Create, collect, and/or edit photographic and video content.
- Track CKS online presence, including media mentions of CKS programs and activities and web and social media analytics.
Quality printed communication materials and publications:
- Support and coordinate the production of key information materials (e.g. brochures, flyers, etc.), flagship reports and publications (In Focus Magazine, “Siksacakr”, etc.)
- Work with international and local editors to establish, and monitor deadlines related to public information content for print and distribution.
- Identify a set of cost efficient and quality publication and printing companies.
- Collect, record and compile important information from programs and events, and when required write small press briefings to cover all major project events and share with local newspapers, radio and TV channels.
- Maintain good visual records of different CKS program in order to track progress and allow inputs for making progress reports presentable and interesting, and for improving annual and donor reporting interest.
- Improve and manage updated distribution list and contact database of key stakeholders journalists, university staffs and other individuals to ensure wide and targeted distribution of information, to ensure that key material and information reach out to intended audience.
Other duties as assigned by CKS program manager to support CKS communications and outreach efforts.
2/ Required qualifications:
- Ability to develop and implement a simple communication strategy to outreach to target audience.
- Excellent communication skills in English, including the ability to prepare reports and deliver oral presentations will be essential.
- Proven ability to effectively translate technical products or content to specific, non-technical audiences would be a great asset.
- Good visual design experience using multimedia tools, including creating or contributing to print and web design products.
- Experience with graphic design and editing programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign; Software such as Microsoft Office, Photoshop and other designing software is essential.
- Web design or web development skills is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills to work well with wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to participate effectively in complex teams of various expertise.
- Strong service orientation, flexibility and understanding of clients’ needs essential.
- Willingness to learn new skills, acquire new experience; to be proactive and take initiative.
- Very good planning, coordinating, organizing and analyzing abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with staff at all levels in a multicultural environment; ability to function independently and as a member of a team.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaboration and cooperating with others.
- Capacity to prioritize and deliver tasks on time.
- Open to constructive feedback
Education and experience:
- University (or equivalent) degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or a related field.
- Two years to four years of working experience with INGO, NGO, Development agencies or media sector assuming responsibilities in communications and/or public relations, including knowledge of and experience with social media tools and strategies.
- Capacity to effectively contribute to improve and present public information on complex subjects for print and digital media.
- Experience in developing content that use social media, multimedia, apps and web publishing tools.
- Experience with editorial production of print and public information products, including publications in multiple language editions, is a plus.
- Experience developing written materials, and supporting conferences and /or workshops is a plus.
A very competitive salary and benefit package will be provided based on experience and qualification. CKS is an organization that values professionalism, diversity and results. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Shortlisted candidates should be able to provide three references on request.