Job Announcement: 1 position (Cambodian nationals only)
Communication and Outreach Officer – Application Deadline: June 9, 2017
The Center for Khmer Studies (CKS) is an independent and not- for- profit research center. Our mission is to support research and teaching in the social sciences, arts, and humanities as they relate to Cambodia. Since our founding in 1998, CKS has aimed to foster understanding of Cambodia and the Mekong region.
CKS brings more than 15 years of experience and strength of operations in Cambodia, with solid established partnerships. At the same time, CKS, provides a dynamic working environment with lots of room for initiative, professional empowerment, and rapid decision making.
CKS is looking for qualified candidates to fill the positions of Communication and Outreach Officer. This position is based in Phnom Penh with some travel to Siem Reap.
The Communication and Outreach Officer will support a strong CKS presence in multimedia, public events outreach, and quality publications.
To learn more about the skill, education, and experience requirements for the position of Communication and Outreach Officer, please read the job description below.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email (mentioning the position name in the email subject) a detailed CV and a short cover letter describing how their qualifications and experience match the position requirements, no later than June 09, 2017 (COB), to the two following addresses:
*Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
CKS Communication and Outreach Officer
Duty station: CKS Office, Phnom Penh
Reports to: Program Manager
The Center for Khmer Studies’ (CKS) mission is to support research and teaching in the social sciences, arts, and humanities as they relate to Cambodia. Since our founding in 1998, CKS has aimed to foster understanding of Cambodia and the Mekong region.
CKS brings the experience and strength of more than 15 years’ operating in Cambodia, and solid established partnerships, while at the same time proposing a dynamic working environment with lot of room for initiative, professional empowerment, and rapid decision making.
CKS is seeking a Communication and Outreach Officer who will be the primary individual supporting day-to-day communications and outreach activities. Besides ensuring quality of key communication tools and materials, key responsibilities will be focused on three main areas: strong presence in multimedia, quality publications, and public events visibility and outreach. The position, therefore, requires an individual who is at ease with the newest multimedia tools, such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. S/he will also support longer-term communication and outreach initiatives (internal and external) and ways to develop and position CKS among its local partners, online, and within the international development community.
Under the direct management of the CKS Program Manager and overall guidance of the Director, the Outreach and Communication Officer will play a key role in development and implementation of CKS major communication projects and publications. Key responsibilities of the Communication and Outreach officer are given below:
1/ Overall Responsibilities
- Update and revise the website, both content and structure wise.
- Develop and implement CKS’ social media strategy, including regularly updating CKS Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other accounts, as needed, with up-to-date and relevant content.
- Analyze need and relevance of a blog of CKS-produced content from CKS partners and beneficiaries that showcases CKS work and expertise.
- Develop timely material to promote CKS activities for distribution on social media, website, newsletters, and other external modes of communication.
- Create, collect, and/or edit photographic and video content.
- Track CKS online presence, including media mentions of CKS programs and activities, as well as web and social media analytics.
Quality Printed Communication Materials and Publications:
- Support and coordinate the production of key information materials (e.g. brochures, flyers), flagship reports and publications (e.g. In Focus Magazine, “Siksacakr”)
- Work with international and local editors to establish and monitor deadlines related to public information content for print and distribution.
- Identify a set of cost- efficient and high-quality publication and printing companies.
- Collect, record, and compile important information from programs and events, and when required, write small press briefings to cover all major project events and share with local newspapers, radio, and TV channels.
- Maintain good visual records of different CKS programs in order to track progress and allow inputs for making progress reports presentable and interesting, and for improving annual and donor reporting interest.
- Improve and manage updated distribution list and contact database of key stakeholders, journalists, university staff, and other individuals to ensure wide and targeted distribution of information, to ensure that key material and information reach out to intended audience.
Other duties as assigned by CKS Program Manager to support CKS communication and outreach efforts.
2/ Required Qualifications
- Excellent communication skills in English, including the ability to prepare reports and deliver oral presentations will be essential.
- Proven ability to effectively translate technical products or content to specific, non-technical audiences would be a great asset.
- Strong visual design experience, including creating or contributing to print and web design products.
- Experience with graphic design and editing programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. Software such as Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and other designing software is essential.
- Web design or web development skills are a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills needed to work well with wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to participate effectively in complex teams of various expertise.
- Strong service orientation, flexibility, and understanding of client needs essential.
- Willingness to learn new skills, acquire new experience; to be proactive and take initiative.
- Very good planning, coordinating, organizing and analyzing abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with staff at all levels in a multicultural environment; ability to function independently and as a member of a team.
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Participate effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others.
- Capacity to prioritize and deliver tasks on time.
- Open to constructive feedback
Education and Experience:
- University (or equivalent) degree in communications, marketing, public relations or a related field.
- Minimum of one year working experience with INGO, NGO, development agency, or media sector, assuming responsibilities in communications and/or public relations, including knowledge of and experience with social media tools and strategies.
- Capacity to effectively contribute to improve and present public information on complex subjects for print and digital media.
- Experience in developing content that may utilize social media, multimedia, apps and web publishing tools.
- Experience with editorial production of print and public information products, including publications in multiple language editions, is a plus.
- Experience developing written materials, and supporting conferences and /or workshops is a plus.
Competitive salary package will be provided based on qualifications and experience. CKS is an organization that values professionalism, diversity, and work-life balance.