MissionThe Center for Khmer Studies’ (CKS) mission is to support research and teaching in the social sciences, arts and humanities as they relate to Cambodia. As an American Overseas Research Center, CKS aims to foster understanding of Cambodia and the Mekong region by connecting Cambodian students and scholars with their regional counterparts, and by supporting programs at US universities.
Specific objectives of the CKS are to:
- Facilitate research on Cambodia and promote scholarly exchange;
- Strengthen advanced scholarship in Cambodia;
- Integrate Cambodian scholars into their regional community;
- Support advanced scholarship on Cambodia at US institutions.
Programs and InitiativesCKS seeks to provide an identifiable common point of exchange, as well as an in-country logistical resource for scholarly research. We think of ourselves as a bridge and a crossroads, a real “center” for institutions, scholars, students and the general public:
- The CKS Library: the largest public library outside the capital, Phnom Penh, with over 11,000 monographs, books and journals and public computers.
- Fellowships: support the research and education of junior and senior scholars from Cambodia and overseas.
- Research and Training Programs: support the training and integration of young Cambodian scholars into research projects about Cambodia in collaboration with Cambodian and overseas universities.
- Publishing and Translation Program: publishing and/or translating original manuscripts as well as translating much-needed social science and historical texts into the Khmer language.
- Conferences/Events: international, inter-disciplinary workshops, conferences and lectures held in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh establish direct links between Cambodian and international scholars.
|Scholarships – Info for applicants: Regional Project Energy Security and Climate Change Asia-Pacific Who are we? Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS) is the largest Political Foundation in Germany. KAS offers political ... Read more|
|Andrew W. Mellon Mediterranean Regional Research Fellowship: The Council of American Overseas Research Centers is pleased to offer a focused regional fellowship program enabling pre- and early postdoctoral scholars to carry out research in... Read more|
|Download Khmer Language Books: The 50 digital books were produced under the direction of Dr. Pascal Bourdeaux by a project organized by the Center for Khmer Studies in 2006-2007. This project was ... Read more|
|New Siksacakr Release: No 12-13 Cambodia: Colonial Encounters The new publication of our double English/ French volume of Siksācakr, Journal of Cambodia Research focusing on Colonialism marks ... Read more|
CKS Senior Fellowships CKS provides in-country research fellowships for U.S., Cambodian and French scholars and doctoral students on a yearly basis.. The CKS U.S. Research Fellowship Program ... Read more
Public Lecture Program
Lecture Series Description The aim of the CKS lecture series is to provide a platform for scholars and development practitioners to present their research ... Read more
Center for Khmer Studies Exploring Conflict in the ASEAN region Background For more than fifteen years the Center for Khmer Studies (CKS) has successfully supported ... Read more
PUBLICATIONS The Center for Khmer Studies is deeply committed to the development of the higher education sector in Cambodia and sees the publication and dissemination of academic and ... Read more