MissionThe Center for Khmer Studies’ (CKS) mission is to support research and teaching in the social sciences, arts and humanities as they relate to Cambodia. Since our founding in 1998, CKS has aimed to foster understanding of Cambodia and the Mekong region by:
- Supporting research on Cambodia and promoting scholarly exchange;
- Strengthening advanced scholarship in Cambodia;
- Integrating Cambodian scholars into regional and global scholarly and professional communities and networks;
- Expanding and deepening advanced scholarship on Cambodia at US institutions.
- The CKS Library: the largest public library outside the capital, Phnom Penh, with over 20,000 monographs, books and journals, and with publicly-accessible computers.
- Fellowships: support the research and education of junior and senior scholars from Cambodia and overseas.
- Research and Training Programs: enable the training of young Cambodian scholars and the integration of their Cambodia-grounded research with Cambodian and overseas universities.
- Publishing and Translation Program: producing original scholarly manuscripts as well as translating foundational social science and historical texts into the Khmer language.
- Conferences/Events: local and international, inter-disciplinary workshops, conferences and lectures held in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh establish professional partnerships between Cambodian and international scholars.
CKS is a U.S. non-governmental institution supported by the US government, international foundations, educational institutions, scholars and interested individuals. CKS is registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cambodia and incorporated in the United States as a tax-exempt institution under article 501 (c) 3 of the Internal Revenue Code. CKS is a member institution of the Council of American Overseas Research Centers, and is the sole American Overseas Research Center in mainland Southeast Asia.
|Scholarships – Info for applicants: Regional Project Energy Security and Climate Change Asia-Pacific Who are we? Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS) is the largest Political Foundation in Germany. KAS offers political ... Read more|
|Andrew W. Mellon Mediterranean Regional Research Fellowship: The Council of American Overseas Research Centers is pleased to offer a focused regional fellowship program enabling pre- and early postdoctoral scholars to carry out research in... Read more|
|Download Khmer Language Books: The 50 digital books were produced under the direction of Dr. Pascal Bourdeaux by a project organized by the Center for Khmer Studies in 2006-2007. This project was ... Read more|
|New Siksacakr Release: No 12-13 Cambodia: Colonial Encounters The new publication of our double English/ French volume of Siksācakr, Journal of Cambodia Research focusing on Colonialism marks ... Read more|
CKS Senior Fellowships CKS provides in-country research fellowships for U.S., Cambodian and French scholars and doctoral students on a yearly basis.. The CKS U.S. Research Fellowship Program ... Read more
Public Lecture Program
Lecture Series Description The aim of the CKS lecture series is to provide a platform for scholars and development practitioners to present their research projects so as to engage with an academic ... Read more
Center for Khmer Studies Exploring Conflict in the ASEAN region Background For more than fifteen years the Center for Khmer Studies (CKS) has successfully supported research, teaching and ... Read more
PUBLICATIONS The Center for Khmer Studies is deeply committed to the development of the higher education sector in Cambodia and sees the publication and dissemination of academic and ... Read more